The Missed Parallel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Missed Parallel

Happy New Year, guys! - love fu

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ending Analysis - The Problem's Solution (PLOTMAKING, REPLY HERE ASAP)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Fumagi

Fumagi

Ending Analysis - The Problem's Solution (PLOTMAKING, REPLY HERE ASAP) Empty
PostSubject: Ending Analysis - The Problem's Solution (PLOTMAKING, REPLY HERE ASAP)   Ending Analysis - The Problem's Solution (PLOTMAKING, REPLY HERE ASAP) EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 2:55 am

PLEASE DON'T RUN OFF! ;_;

Alright, here's the deal.

A story, it's characters, a world - it's all defined by intent. We've devised that. We want to show the parallel between these two peoples, and the absurdity inherent in that they are the same people and are warring with each other for almost no reason. The absurdity of war between people who were once kin. The missed parallel between them as they refuse to look at their similarities/

The next step in the storymaker's process is to figure out the problem, and a solution to the problem. (There are other kinds of plots, and if you want to mention a really well-thought out plot in the following posts that doesn't follow that general guideline, be my guest!)

Currently, the problem is the war. Can we all agree on that? The war, especially in terms of the "clashing cultures" of two peoples that are really the same people with slightly different values and appearances.

There are a few different common solutions to such a problem. I am going to detail three of them that I think would be the most plausible method for building a plot around.
(Naturally there are other ways to solve this problem in a way that would be dramatically appealing. However, this is not a novel, this is a comic. Because we are already changing things up a bit, I think it would be advisable to stick to something tried-and-true for this sort of thing, especially because none of us really has experience in alternative storytelling, so it'll be hard enough as it is without screwing with the fundamentals. If you have an idea that does not fit into these, you are welcome to detail it in posts below, but please keep my warning in mind.)

These are:
Good End: A good end, typically, is an end where the problem is resolved in a manner that is satisfactory. Naturally, a war will have death, loss of innocence, and trauma, but this is an end where, just maybe, everyone (or most everyone) comes out all right (or mostly all right). This would probably be an end in which a peace treaty would be present and a restless peace would be achieved. In more elegant terms, this is the end in which humanity manages to right itself from it's pointless wrongs, and perhaps begin to heal the wound that the shift and parallel has created.
To go into a little more detail, just think of how in Pocahontas we had some very near martyrs trying to force the two cultures through their own deaths to realize the foolishness of going to war on rumors and spite. (Smith, of course, doesn't come out exactly unharmed.) Though no one actually dies a martyr death (sorry Kokoum), it has some rather charged moments where you aren't quite sure if everyone (aka the heros) is going to come out alive.

A good end celebrates humanity's transcendence of prejudice and ability to stop what some may believe is their natural instinct to war.

Bad End: A bad end, typically, is an end where the problem is not resolved, or is resolved in a way where humanity manages to destroy itself. This is an end in which the main characters will die or can die as a result of the inherent stupidity, shortsightedness, and general prejudice anger of man in rage and war. This could be an end in which the main character attempt to stop the war, fail, and die - or perhaps an end in which the main characters embrace war. Such things as this create an almost tragic end, where humanity does not transcend brutishness and inevitably begins to undo itself entirely.
To go into a little more detail, just think of Lord of the Flies. I know you've all read this, by now, and if you haven't, wikipedia will summarize. In Lord of the Flies, Piggy - and half the other children on the damn island - die because Jack succumbs to animalistic behaviors and instincts and follows his savage desire to become the islands alpha male by killing the current one as he sees it, Ralph. This is a bad end, because obviously a lot of people die and the underlying problems of overcoming animalistic savagery obviously are not overcome as Jack succumbs to them and manages to destroy a lot of shit.

A bad end laments humanity's inability to transcend prejudice and serves as a circumspective analysis on what humanity actually is in terms of everything else that lives.

WTF end: A WTF end, typically, is an solution to the problem in which something else other than humanity manages to solve the problem. For example, Nature is often used as a tool to end the problem - like, say, as a volcanic explosion of apocalyptic measure in which most of humanity is destroyed, and what little is left over (and what little of humanity survives, if at all) must band together for the good of all. If they manage to do it, the ending is hopeful. If they do not, it is like a bad end. This ends up making the argument that humanity is always ruled over by nature, and they must cope with what they are while also coping with nature herself.
To go into a little more detail, just think meteor in FF7. Though meteor is brought about by humanity (which is also part of this), it ends up being nature herself threatening humanity, and they just have to deal with it. For a less nerdy reference, think Noah's Ark, in which the world is flooded.

A WTF end usually focuses more on man vs nature, or man vs some other aspect he is not able to control, and in which case is a little bit of a deviation from what we are trying to accomplish. (Unless you have a really good idea for the plot following this construct, I wouldn't bother too much with this.)

The reason I have detailed these out is because we need to figure out the solution to the problem of war. If we can do that, the rest of the plotmaking becomes easier, and we can actually begin to flesh out a skeleton and begin the real meat of the work.

Please post your opinions on what kind of end you'd like to see this go here. I'll post my opinions last, so as not to influence anyone unduly.
(If you need help getting started on an opinion, just pick one of these that you'd like to see happen and just try to type out your thoughts about it. No opinions are wrong here!)

tl;dr: Happy ending, sad ending, y/n?

Last edited by Fumagi on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : tl;dr line)
Back to top Go down
http://mat.miracosta.edu/MAT125online/1HOMEWORK/Midterm/Bates/
EcroXineoph

EcroXineoph

PostSubject: Re: Ending Analysis - The Problem's Solution (PLOTMAKING, REPLY HERE ASAP)   Ending Analysis - The Problem's Solution (PLOTMAKING, REPLY HERE ASAP) EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 3:14 am

Alright well. (First off that LONG post was EPIC and LONG and WIN in proportions only Fu posts can be! Go Fu!) I'm pretty heavily leaning toward the "Happily Ever After" ending. Or at least...good ending if not happily ever after. XD

The only thing is, I don't want it to be like, perfect, no one dies, they all hug and make cookies type thing. As odd as this may sound, I want a good handful of people to die. And not just like, we're introducing a character and then kill him off on the next page. I mean really tragic deaths. For EXAMPLE (this does not have to happen. Just an example!) killing off Korin. Ya know, showing how truly tragic war is! Maybe Eltana's dad dies or something. I don't know. Like I said, these are not necessarily plot suggestions, just examples to explain what I mean. The main thing is, people die in war. Duh. So if these peoples, these nations are at war, there will be deaths. And considering the sentiments that have been lingering between them for how long? The war's gonna be nasty. And nasty wars have even MORE deaths. So...yeah.

Happy ending but with death. Just...not at the end. And hopefully not Jasper or Eltana. (However if it's needed, I'm *sniff* willing to kick 'em off. *sniff*)
Back to top Go down
Kyur

Kyur

PostSubject: Re: Ending Analysis - The Problem's Solution (PLOTMAKING, REPLY HERE ASAP)   Ending Analysis - The Problem's Solution (PLOTMAKING, REPLY HERE ASAP) EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 3:33 am

I really like the idea of the WTF ending. A combo of what jess said and the WTF would be a good ending in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
EcroXineoph

EcroXineoph

PostSubject: Re: Ending Analysis - The Problem's Solution (PLOTMAKING, REPLY HERE ASAP)   Ending Analysis - The Problem's Solution (PLOTMAKING, REPLY HERE ASAP) EmptySun Jan 18, 2009 9:30 am

Grrrrr, guys! Come on! You need to be on and you need to be contributing! I've said this once I'll say it again, this plot is NOT gonna just materialize! And Fu and I don't want to just do everything ourselves! Please!

Seriously, y'all need to be helping out with this. Everyone who's part of this project is brilliant! I know you all, and you seriously all are. (Well, maybe not Mike but...just kidding, just kidding! I love you. NOT LIKE THAT! PERV! ) I know you all have the ability to come up with GREAT ideas but it's not gonna just happen, especially if you guys aren't here to post and discuss stuff.

And when I say post I don't mean you read a previous post and write a response along the lines of "Yeah, great idea, duuuude." (That was in a surfer voice btw. XD) That does nothing to further the development of the story. What we need is DISCUSSION. Suggest a different or apposing idea. Or if you think the given idea sucks, SAY SO but explain why. And if you really do like the idea then again, explain why and maybe expand on the idea. "Yeah, we could do that, and then have this happen too..."

Also, Fu and I got tired of waiting on y'all to get your butts in gear. This thread has been up for near two weeks and only Andy has responded and that was because I was ridding his ass about it. So we decided we're going with happy ending but with a significant handful of casualties.

Don't like it? Sorry for sounding harsh but, I don't care. Next time, be part of the decision making process.

Love Jisu
Back to top Go down
Ismael the Monk

Ismael the Monk

PostSubject: Re: Ending Analysis - The Problem's Solution (PLOTMAKING, REPLY HERE ASAP)   Ending Analysis - The Problem's Solution (PLOTMAKING, REPLY HERE ASAP) EmptyMon Jan 19, 2009 8:27 am

I would like to have a twisted happy ending scenario. I mean, we can have war, we can have happy ending, but the deaths need to be felt by the reader. You know how you felt in Harry Potter when so many of your loved characters up and attem'd to the grave. We need a sense of that kind of loss. But also, we can't have it be predictable at all. I mean, seriously, if there are a tribe of spirituals that we've established as "people with the right intent but the wrong method of doing so" and a tribe of "holycrap these guys are awesome because they actually RATIONALIZE" spirituals taking separate paths towards maybe doom, which will the reader consider unworthy of facing doom head on and which will they consider deeming of demise??

Just an idea that sprouted from that. Differing factions within tribes/sects of both sides (spirit/steams). I'd assume we could most likely have some people in both saying that "Our world isn't good enough until they're all wiped out" and some that want peace, some that can still see a world with the other but are forced to fight due to the war. Idk just spewin stuff.

Back on track, I believe we need to have some deaths that could not possibly be foreseen. Maybe some kind of illness in a home. A warrior gets bad news that their village was razed and their family is dead. Who knows. Just show the cruelty of war.

oh... Umm. possibility. Will we have some steampunks/spirituals capturing POW's? we could get their story in as well... and also show that both sides are capable of torture, as proud of a race as they are, they still sink to "savagery".
Back to top Go down
EcroXineoph

EcroXineoph

PostSubject: Re: Ending Analysis - The Problem's Solution (PLOTMAKING, REPLY HERE ASAP)   Ending Analysis - The Problem's Solution (PLOTMAKING, REPLY HERE ASAP) EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 6:11 am

I like that last bit you put there and would be willing to work that or something similar in. I must confess I am finding myself biased in favor of the Liberaceans so anyway I can convince myself that these are equal people, that they're the same, I like. Also I think it'll help convince the reader of the same.
So if we can fit something along those lines in somewhere that'd be nice.
Back to top Go down
Fumagi

Fumagi

PostSubject: Re: Ending Analysis - The Problem's Solution (PLOTMAKING, REPLY HERE ASAP)   Ending Analysis - The Problem's Solution (PLOTMAKING, REPLY HERE ASAP) EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 11:58 am

(why the hell am I still up omg)

I like that last bit too, and when we have finished the timeline skeleton and basic plotting we should definitely return to this and see where we can fit it in scene wise. I have a bit of an idea on that, but I think it would be best for us to reach that point all at the same speed, so I'll hang onto it until we've completed the timeline. :>
Back to top Go down
http://mat.miracosta.edu/MAT125online/1HOMEWORK/Midterm/Bates/
Ismael the Monk

Ismael the Monk

PostSubject: Re: Ending Analysis - The Problem's Solution (PLOTMAKING, REPLY HERE ASAP)   Ending Analysis - The Problem's Solution (PLOTMAKING, REPLY HERE ASAP) EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 5:26 am

Fumagi wrote:
(why the hell am I still up omg)

I like that last bit too, and when we have finished the timeline skeleton and basic plotting we should definitely return to this and see where we can fit it in scene wise. I have a bit of an idea on that, but I think it would be best for us to reach that point all at the same speed, so I'll hang onto it until we've completed the timeline. :>

WAIT, WHAT!? OH SNAPS WE ALREADY DID THAT!!! WOOOOOOO
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ending Analysis - The Problem's Solution (PLOTMAKING, REPLY HERE ASAP)   Ending Analysis - The Problem's Solution (PLOTMAKING, REPLY HERE ASAP) Empty

Back to top Go down

Ending Analysis - The Problem's Solution (PLOTMAKING, REPLY HERE ASAP)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Missed Parallel :: PMS (lol) :: Story Development-
Jump to: